Cambodian inspired Grilled Lemongrass Chicken
(1) pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
(2) stalks lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
(2) shallots, finely chopped
(1) long red Thai chili, seeded, finely chopped
(2) garlic cloves, crushed
(1) tablespoon brown sugar
(1) tablespoon soy sauce
(1) tablespoon oyster sauce
(2) teaspoons fish sauce
(1) teaspoon sesame oil
Fresh green onions and cilantro, thinly sliced, to garnish
Steamed jasmine rice
Pickled vegetables, thinly sliced (optional) – daikon and carrots are our favorite!
1. Place lemongrass, shallots, chili, and garlic in a mortar and gently pound with a pestle until a paste forms.
2. Add brown sugar, combined sauces and oil, and stir to combine into a marinade.
3. Marinate the chicken thighs in the marinade for 2-6 hours. The longer you marinate the chicken, the better the flavor!
4. Grill chicken thighs on an outdoor grill or char-grill pan on high until cooked through.
5. Once cooked, sprinkle the chicken thighs with fresh green onions and cilantro and serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice and pickled vegetables or side of your choice.